Fox News has faced a slew of backlash, negative headlines, and a significant rating drop since taking top-rated host Tucker Carlson off the air in late April.
However, one Fox News personality has gotten a handful of good news in recent weeks.
Popular co-host Greg Gutfeld announced a new book, both shows that he co-hosts — “The Five” and “Gutfeld!” — are dominating the cable news ratings, and he’s reportedly being considered to take over a primetime slot on the network.
Despite the fallout from ousting of former top host Tucker Carlson, Fox News remained the most-watched network in all of cable news in May.
“The Five” was the highest-rated show on cable news with 2.6 million average total viewers and 267,000 average demo viewers. His late-night comedy show “Gutfeld!” was also in the top 5 for cable news.
Below is a breakdown of the top 5 shows on cable news in May, all of which belong to Fox News:
The Five – 2.63 million (276,000 in the 25-54 demographic)
Jesse Watters Primetime – 2.14 million (194,000 demo)
Hannity – 1.91 million (178,000 demo)
Special Report with Bret Baier – 1.81 million (187,000 demo)
Gutfeld! – 1.65 million (224,000 demo)
The popular host announced a new book, titled, “The King of Late Night,” which will be released July 25, and details how Gutfeld “destroyed the mainstream late-night landscape of heavyweights and became the host of the #1 late night show in all of television.”
Fox News has announced a slew of changes in recent weeks.
Last week, the network announced that Steve Hilton’s Sunday show in the 9 p.m. time slot has been canceled.
Fox Business has canceled the long-running show “Kennedy,” which airs at 7 p.m. ET. The network plans to air reruns of former Trump administration economist Larry Kudlow. The report said that Lisa Kennedy Montgomery will remain at Fox News, where she will be a recurring figure on “The Five,” “Outnumbered,” and other shows.
Donald Trump Jr. has said he was warned by insiders at Fox News that network bosses were not happy with his criticism following the sudden firing of top-rated host Tucker Carlson in late April.
The former president’s oldest son says he was told to “expect retaliation” after ripping the firing as unwise and accusing top executives of “censorship.” He went on to say that he also has not been invited onto the network in nearly nine months, the report noted.
“I’ve been watching the censorship happening even in conservative mainstream media,” Don Jr. said on the Steak for Breakfast podcast. “I mean, you saw what sort of Fox did to Tucker Carlson, last week, and the week before that, it was Dan Bongino and, you know, the people who would actually question some of that narrative.”
“I’ve been sort of outspoken at America First [network] and I used to be on Fox 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 times a week. I haven’t been on in nine months. Not a call, not an invite, not anything. And so I understand what it, what it appears like they’re trying to do to the America First movement. You know, Tucker was another one of those voices,” Trump Jr. noted further, according to Mediaite.
Recently he posted to Twitter: “Have heard from a few of my friends at Fox News that the leftist executives running things there are pissed at me for calling them out over firing Tucker and to ‘expect retaliation.’ A lot of good people still work at Fox, but their RINO leadership is at war with conservatives!”
The former president’s son could have been referencing former House Speaker Paul Ryan, who took a position on the network’s board of directors after he left Congress and was reportedly involved in a decision to “move on” from then-President Trump in the wake of his allegations that the 2020 election was “rigged” against him, per a court document that was leaked to The New York Times last month pertaining to Fox’s recent bombshell settlement with Dominion Voting Systems.
Meanwhile, Fox’s ratings have taken a huge hit since Carlson was taken off the air, including legacy shows like “Hannity.”